Tuesday, February 14, 2012

D Vertrees Hollingsworth 1937-2012

The Great Pha died this morning, peacefully leaving us in his sleep.  


San Diego Command, 1998


Characteristically, he wrote his own obituary:



DVH Obit
D Vertrees Hollingsworth died on February 14, 2012, at age 74. He lived a fortunate life, doing things for which he was reasonably prepared and appreciated, thereby gaining a wonderful family, a happy and adventuresome life and genuine pleasure in every day granted him.

He grew up on a Kentucky horse farm near Lexington during World War II and learned the value of hard work and how to ride thoroughbreds.  He was the last of five children of a playwright and an engineer and so learned early on to love both sciences and the arts.  He was graduated from Yale University with a degree in American Studies, from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine as a Doctor of Medicine and completed an Internship at Receiving Hospital in Detroit, MI. During that era he met and married the love of his life, Alice Elizabeth Broadbent, with whom he begat four delightful children.

Dr. Hollingsworth served in the US Navy as a Lieutenant in the Medical Corps for two years in the Vietnam era, followed by a resignation of his Reserve commission and an entry into the private practice of Family Medicine on the same day Medicare took effect: 1 Aug 66.  After 14 years of care for rural patients (“the skin and its contents”), he took his wife and three of his children off to serve his county (to Teach, to Travel, and to have some Time Off) as a Naval Officer – first teaching young physician graduates the specialty of Family Medicine, then medical students at the F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine in the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences for nine years.  Dr. Hollingsworth was graduated from the Naval War College and Salve Regina University with a Master’s degree in Management and went on to serve as Commanding Officer at three Naval medical treatment facilities.

In 1998, he and his wife retired to Pinehurst, NC, where he spent seven years as a family physician at Fort Bragg and as an emergency physician in Laurinburg, NC.  He was active in his church, Brownson Memorial Presbyterian in Southern Pines, NC, and joined his musical wife in several community chorus efforts in every community in which they lived.  He was an amateur actor in numerous productions for more than 60 years.

He was predeceased by the sad loss of a beloved granddaughter (10 year-old Liza Hollingsworth) but is survived by his wife of 51 years, Alice B. Hollingsworth, and by four children:  Eben L. Hollingsworth and family of Georgetown, KY, Sophia G. Hollingsworth of Charlotte, NC, Dunn D. Hollingsworth and family of Mt. Pleasant, SC, and E. Piel Hollingsworth and family of Milton, MA.  At his death he had five grandchildren: Eleanor, Caroline and Jordan Hollingsworth as well as Maxwell and Lucy Hollingsworth-Hays.

“You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough”

A memorial service will be held at Brownson Memorial Presbyterian Church, Southern Pines, NC, on Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 11am with a reception to follow.   There will be a gathering in honor of Dr. Hollingsworth’s life at Georgetown College’s Thomas & King Conference Center in Georgetown, KY, on Saturday March 3 from 2:00 to 4:00.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to: Plowshares Institute, PO Box 243 or 809 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury, CT 06070

The world will be a lesser place without him.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will certainly miss your dad. He was ever so helpful to me personally, giving me sound medical advise. He'd call and check on me when I was sick and lended my parents great advice on next steps for me. He was bubbling over with personality and wisdom. I will surely miss him and extend thoughtful prayers to his wife and kids. What a guy! Truly will be missed. --- Heron Hollingsworth

Fanny/Bill said...

I never met your dad, but have heard such wonderful stories about him from Becky, and from Anne and Bryan, that I felt like I knew him. I have been following your blog for some time. I am sad for your loss, and for all the Hollingsworth family's loss of such a wonderful man....Fanny Timmer

Brian Hammerstein said...

I had no idea you were cut from such sturdy stock Eben, but I am not surprised.

Anonymous said...

YOu ALL are in our thoughts and prayers..We will see you in March

Libby Fisher said...

I consider myself very lucky to have known such a delightful person as Vertrees. The many memories I have always begin with his big voice and big laugh. The obvious love and devotion he and Alice shared was a testimony to all the good things about marriage and raising a family. He was an original. A life well lived indeed. - Libby

Brian Gott said...

So sorry. I just got the news. I worked with Sophia closely over the last five years and she is one of my favorite people on the planet. My condolences to the family.

Anonymous said...

I met Vertress on the Yale Alumni Chorus trip to Cuba, 2010. I sat next to him on the bus that was taking us to see Ernest Hemingways beloved home. I had read parts of the book Hemingway in Cuba so I told him what I expected to see there. He told me about his time in the Navy, his new pig heart valve (he said he was not expecting to live much longer than it would last) , his belief that doctor's gave out too much medicine ( his wife had an intestinal problem and he felt that it was not prudent to give her Cipro) and more. At the home of Hemingway I became caught up in it and was late returning to the bus. After my apologizes to my fellow passengers Vertess the Navy man said, " if it was up to me I would have left without you." ( There was a second bus.) He was a true Navy man, punctual and to the point. We discussed Hemingway all the way back to Havana. Vertress was memorable and interesting. I can imagine how much he will be missed by his family, friends and community. Kathleen Heenan

Holly Brown said...

Uncle Vert was larger than life to Kevin Brown. This "mere girl" is so sorry to hear of your loss. I know their reunion has been a big one. My thoughts are with you all... "Kevin's Holly"

Unknown said...

I worked at John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital straight out of college and really appreciated him. He also helped me start attending The Presbyterian Church there, whereby was in the choir with him and other good singers and the pastor, Shep Crigler.

I was just thinking of him and decided to do a Facebook search.

Reverend Mike Mansfield, Lexington.

Unknown said...

I worked at John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital straight out of college and really appreciated him. He also helped me start attending The Presbyterian Church there, whereby was in the choir with him and other good singers and the pastor, Shep Crigler.

I was just thinking of him and decided to do a Facebook search.

Reverend Mike Mansfield, Lexington.

Anonymous said...

I am one of those "young physician graduates the specialty of Family Medicine" who benefitted greatly from having Dr V as my mentor in 1980-82, at the Charleston Navy Hospital. He was a special man and doctor. I could not have wished for a better teacher and model.

Paul W. Bennett, MD